NILIS started e-learning as the main mode of teaching and learning (TL) from April 2020 due to Covid-19 pandemic situation. It will be continued until the government announces that it is safe to start on-site learning. NILIS has a specific strategy in delivering the TL process.
We use a WhatsApp group for each class (each course, each batch). This is to make the routine communication process dynamic.
A Learning Management System (LMS) is used to store content. This content includes reading materials, PowerPoint presentations (with or without narration), and other activities proposed for students to finish and bring to the class.
We use Zoom interactive online sessions as a means of online student contact. Here our main focus is to discuss material already given, and enable questioning/answering. These sessions are recorded and the audio files are hosted in the LMS for students to revisit lessons. If someone could not attend the online session, he/she is free to replay and listen to the recorded meeting.
This way, we believe that the students can be supported to continue their learning without any further delay, enabling them to finish their courses as scheduled. Online classes are held during weekends (as was the practice in NILIS), according to a timetable.
However, we know that there are students who find it difficult to join these online classes due to practical difficulties such as unavailability of devices (smartphones, laptops and desktops etc.), and access to the Internet. Thus, we are planning to implement a program to deliver some of the reading material by regular post, to the students with such difficulties.
If you are a current student of a NILIS course in the main center (Colombo) or a center in Sabaragamuwa, North-Western, Central, or Uva provinces, please contact us with email (email@example.com) or telephone 0112 507150 (during weekdays, from 10.00 am to 2.00 pm). Also, you may directly contact the following Coordinating Assistants of the relevant program.
Please contact Ms. Praba (071 840 8535) for queries on the following courses.
- Diploma in School Librarianship (DSL) – Colombo and North-Western Provincial Centers
- Advanced Certificate in School Librarianship (ACSL) – Colombo
Contact Ms. Shyamalie (071 974 6471) for queries on the following courses.
- Diploma in Library and Information Management (DLIM)
- Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management Part 1 (HDLIM – 1)
- Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management Part 2 (HDLIM – 2)
- Diploma in Public Librarianship (DPL)
- Advanced Certificate in Public Librarianship (ACPL)
Contact Ms. Sewwandi (071 653 7823) for queries on the following courses.
- Diploma in School Librarianship (DSL) – Uva and Sabaragamuwa Provinces
- Higher Diploma in Library and Information Management Part 1 (HDLIM – 1) – Uva Province